Monday 2 June 2014

Finally Finishing Finale

I've finally done it. I've finished Becca Fitzpatrick's, Hush Hush, series.

I wonder why it took me so long to finish this series because I really did quite enjoy it.
I know that opinions can be quite divided on this series, but I think the majority thought it was ok. I'm not entirely sure where to place myself exactly.

The storyline through all four books was continuously engaging, in my opinion, and I really did grow to like Nora.
But that's not to say that the books are without faults.

What happened to Nora taking iron pills? After the first book, it's never mentioned again.
Nora seemed to take becoming a Nephilim quite easily too, I'd have been freaking out. She also takes killing her biological father surprisingly well. She never even mentions that she feels guilty.

Was I the only one to think that the plot in Finale seemed.. a little rushed? Doesn't the whole book cover just over two weeks? And things had a convenient way of sorting themselves out.

I would have loved to find out a bit more on the actually angel race. Maybe a passage or two from Patch about their history would have been cool.
And on the lines of Patch. Do we actually ever get to know him.
It is never really touched upon what Patch was like for the hundreds of years before he ever stalked Nora.

I do have to say that I preferred Nora's attitude in the final installment. She grew a much needed backbone and actually fought instead of just running away.
Oh and can I just say, if Patch is like a thousand or whatever? Surely a newly made Nephil wouldn't be able to 'mind-trick' him?
Also, why is it never explained why Nora seems to have an uncanny way with mind-tricks?

I do have to give it to Fitzpatrick though, she created some stellar secondary characters.
Vee, she was a hilarious best friend to Nora, and I enjoyed every part that she was in.
Marcie, a cold and calculating bitch was quite refreshing. Showing us that not everything in Nora's life is supernatural.
I very much liked Scott and Dante's characters too.
Scott, because he seemed like the kind of guy that I would get along great with,
and Dante, he just seemed kind of badass.
I liked the character of Rixon too, and his short little cameo in the last few pages.

I think Silence, is my favourite book, Nora having no memory was quite cool to read.

I know I seem to have listed quite a few bad qualities about these books, but this review is based on the whole series. I really did like these books, and what I thought of Hush Hush, and its sequels will without a doubt make me read more of Becca Fitzpatrick's books.

Overall out of five, I think I'll give this series a 3.5* maybe even 4*
I enjoyed it more than I didn't, and I will definitely reread the series. It's not quite a favourite, but it is certainly up their in the better half of my bookcases.

No comments:

Post a Comment