Friday 25 July 2014

Forsaken, Jana Oliver book review

This is now my second time reading this book, and I have to say that I think I actually ended up enjoying and appreciating a lot more this time round.

Forsaken, is the first installment of 'The Demon Trappers' and I have to say what a brilliant start it is.
This whole idea of demons existing and are common knowledge, and their being a 'Guild', it all makes for a really cool read.

I admit there isn't much 'world building' as such, but the book doesn't suffer because it. You're so consumed with what's happening with the main character Riley Blackthorn, that you don't really give a damn about anybody else, or the rest of the world for that fact.

The language and dialogue is spot on and sounds true to what I imagine.
As I've said before, I hate books that water down their language, even though we know teenagers do swear.

I will say that I do actually like dual narrative and Riley and Beck.
It keeps things fresh, and the two are both similar and different at the same time.
I like Beck though, he's my type of character... slightly damaged yet cool.
I quite like people with short tempers, and this book supplies that in bucket loads!

Poor Riley seemed to go through such a bad lot in a very short amount of time, and even though I knew what was going to happen next, I was still always rooting for things for turn around for her. She is a beautifully written character, very realistic and relate-able and she has flaws too.

Once I had finished this book, I tried to think back to what the main plot actually was, and the question actually stumped a little. Is there one? There is a bunch of smaller plot points to be followed up in later novels, but as for a big main one, you find out the same time that Riley does, and even then it's not until one of the last couple of pages. I kind of liked that though, it gives you a chance to really get a feel for the characters and their situations and surroundings.

I'm definitely looking forward to starting the next one, 'Forbidden' even though I've read that one too, but I feel more excited this time around.
I give this book 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment