Tuesday 23 September 2014

Easy, Tammara Webber review

The basic premise of this book (good girl meets bad boy) is one that had been done countless times, and yet it is one that I've recently grown rather fond of in this new adult genre.
Ever since buying it, I've been anxious to pick it up, but I had a few more books that I had queued to be read before getting to it, even though this book kept catching my eye and demanding to be read sooner rather than later.
I've glad I gave it and pushed this book a little higher on my schedule.

It was only a week before reading it that I realized the actual seriousness of what this books back blurb slightly hints at. I was looking for books with serious and real life situations on Goodreads when I came across this book in the top ten on of a list I was surfing through. I thought maybe I'd bitten off a slightly more darker story then I had first anticipated.

Tammara Webber's Easy starts off with every persons worst nightmare. I admit I wasn't expecting the confrontation straight off the bat, but it just concludes and adds to the fact that even though this particular story is a work of fiction, this kind of thing can happen at anytime and anywhere.
Even when diving straight in, I knew I was going to really enjoy this book.
It seemed to feel so much more real and truthful depiction of teens and young adults then what authors usually portray. These seemed like real college students.
 I  for one, am extremely grateful for the main character actually not being a virgin. I can only take so many 'good girl virgins'.

I ended up not only liking and loving Jacqueline, but admiring her too.
The secondary characters contribute to making this story feel real.
I really loved Erin, not only for attitude and witty lines, but also her unwavering support for her best friend. I enjoyed every passage that she was in.
I loved the small doses of Benji, and I freely admit that I liked the presence of Jacqueline's ex not quite leaving the picture.

I needed to know what would happen to Jacqueline, I couldn't leave her world alone. I read through the whole thing in just over a day.

Easy hits on some hard-hitting truths, and I'm very grateful that the author decided not to gloss over it or sweep it under the rug.
Not only does it show the truth that rape can happen to anyone, but also shows it can be carried out by people you presume to know.
Not only does it touch on the physical wounds of rape, it's also based strongly on the emotional effects of forgiveness, self-doubt, and hope.
Briefly, it even touches on what some people are willing to do to cover the word 'rape'.
Most importantly, Tammara Webber shows us that, no matter how the situation comes into play, non-consensual sex is rape, and rape is never your fault.

Moving away now from the more serious aspects of this book. I want to say that I really loved Lucas. I didn't find him at all creepy or stalkerish just because he had already drawn pictures of Jacqueline.
I love an artistic type, and if you've read any of my reviews before, you might know that I have a certain fondness for damaged characters. Whether just small amounts of trauma, to shit hit the fan crazy psychological scarring.
I admired Lucas' need to protect people, even if it was just by volunteering at self-defense classes.
That one bit, right at the very end, after Buck's failed third attempt at assaulting Jacqueline... When he sort of crawls towards her and holds her. It just felt powerful for me, like I knew that he hadn't been able to save his mother, so this time she needed to be ok.

I'm grateful that Tammara Webber took the time to write this book, and she should be incredibly proud of what she has achieved with her novel.
I knew from the very beginning that this book deserved 5 stars and I'm not glad that I can give it so freely.
Easy will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment