Monday 8 September 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children review

I was incredibly excited to read this book. The combination of these creepy photos and the blurb, had me hoping this book was going to be a creeptastic read that chilling and engaging.
Unfortunately, that assumption was pretty far off how this book actually is.

I do commend the way that Ransom Riggs has woven these two media's together.
True, the photographs and story create an unforgettable tale. Though the plot and story itself isn't that strong.

I couldn't help but draw comparisons that Miss Peregrine's actual school was like a watered down younger version of the X-mansion aka Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. Though that may just be an unlucky coincident because I watched the latest X-Men before starting this book.

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children held so much potential to be an amazing book.
The beginning started out strong in the first couple of chapters. It's witty and funny, and filled with a couple of creepy stories and dealing with loss.
The second half of this book is so completely different that it's a little jarring.
Once Jacob actually arrived on the island, things went downhill from there.
The allure to the old abandoned house is quickly done away with. Then BAM, time travel.
Though I wasn't expecting it, I admit I liked the nature of the time travelling in the book. The idea of loops, all over the world, was interesting, and sounded believable.
One question I do have though...
Did Peregrine and her charges always live in the loop, or was is created the moment the bomb was about it hit, in an attempt to stay alive?

I kept waiting for things to turn creepy or spine-chilling or ghostly.. or something.. but it just never happened. The story feels more like it's aimed at a younger audience than me. It was the typical childhood fantasy/nightmare that monsters are real, and they very well may be hiding under your bed. That is pretty much the entire premise.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this 'coupling' either. I find it kind of gross, that this girl is like 87 or something really, though she still has the mentality and psychical appearance on a 15 year old. She did god knows what with this kids grandfather and loved him enough to keep letters on her persons at all times, and yet they're still sucking face.

For the first time in a long while, I don't think I'll be buying the subsequent sequels.
I do hate to give low ratings to books, but my opinion can't be helped. That said, I'm giving this book 2.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment